Hello-Hello, thank goodness it is almost the weekend. Somehow the week became a rather long and tedious sequence of days, frenzied and harried with little breathing room.
There are loads of things happening all over the Preppy Planet, so we jump right in with an item qualifying as Friday Fun in our book: the result of yet another fashion collaboration, the Social Primer for Brooks Brothers Bow Tie Collection.
Some readers are familiar with Social Primer, an online etiquette blog geared to men, as well as a retail outlet operated by K. Cooper Ray.
For those not yet enjoying the Primer we share this description from Brooks Brothers:
“The voice of SocialPrimer.com, “SP”, is a stickler for tradition and good manners. He reminds men to walk on the curbside of a lady and to always stand when they shake a man’s hand. SP is sometimes a dandy and always a gentleman.”
The partnership between these entities makes good sense, affording Brooks an opportunity to offer an updated look for a traditional item.
No one will be surprised by our appreciation for the ties; it is common knowledge we are silly for seersucker and rarely see a madras we don’t like, let alone a nautically inclined look.
Kudos to Mr. Ray and Brooks Brother. The collection is not yet officially launched (that happens May 19th), but the ties are available online and in Brooks Brothers stores.
Speaking of B2, they are in the middle of their Friends and Family Sale; everything is 25% off online, at retail stores and factory outlets stores. To receive the discount, use promo code Friend1A at checkout. The promotional pricing runs through Monday, May 10th and it does include Black Fleece items.
The story shares insight from Lacoste’s chief marketing pooh-bah:
“Colour and the whole preppy style is very much on trend at the moment, and it’s something that Lacoste is strongly associated with,” citing the brand’s new pistachio green, baby blue and salmon pink canvas slip-on shoes…”
We haven’t yet seen the new Lacoste shoes referenced, but are guessing the look isn’t one The Consort will be sporting.
Other Sales & Savings of note:
- Talbots is taking an additional 50% off sale prices.
- Polo Ralph Lauren offers an extra 15% off already-reduced prices through Monday, May 10. Use promo code MAY0610 for the discount
- Lacoste is taking 30% off merchandise through May 10th
We close with two quick Pretty in Pink items; the first is an item from the store we used here at the Prepatorium just yesterday.
The Scout Insulated Casserole Carrier was put into action transporting our Apple Cake across town and it worked perfectly, as it always does. And that recipe? It is so easy recipe even yours truly can’t mess it up. (Well, not yet.) Here is the recipe:
KitchenAid Apple Cake
- 11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 11⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 11⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 11⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped, peeled apple
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Add applesauce, butter, and eggs.
- Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 1 minute. Stop and scrape bowl. Turn to Speed 4 and beat about 30 seconds.
- Add apple and walnuts. Turn to STIR Speed and mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Frost with Caramel Creme Frosting, if desired.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings.
Per serving: About 318 cal, 5 g pro, 51 g carb, 11 g fat, 36 mg chol, 315 mg sod.
Our second Pretty in Pink is something we stumbled upon when visiting the Everything is Better Pink blog:
With that we say G’bye until next time, may everyone enjoy a weekend filled with love and laughter!