Hello-Hello, welcome to a Wednesday.
Being a preppy person isn’t all about knowing how to sail and wearing sailing clothes. Anyone in the world can be preppy, if they just want to try it!
(Is it just me, or does this conjure up images of an unruly gang of little children following a leader as he/she exhorts, “C’mon everyone, let’s all go be preppy!”…?)
Back to The List, here it is, each school name is followed by a snippet from the story:
- Georgetown: “Backpacks are a faux pas and socks are rarely worn, because obviously they’d look silly with your Sperry Top Siders and short shorts.”
- University of Virginia: “At a school that refers to the quad as “the Lawn,” it’s no surprise that many of the frat and sorority houses are situated along “Rugby Road.” The school isn’t lacking in Southern tradition (students joke that UVA’s mantra is “guys in ties, girls in pearls”).”
- Boston College: “Even the east coast sports-bro website, Barstool Sports, thinks Boston College is a bit too preppy.”
- Wheaton: “”Wheaties” commonly hang around Harvard and Brown on weekends decked out in green and pink apparel and Bermuda bags.”
- Cornell: It’s the school that educated Andy Bernard from the Office; ever heard of it? Blogs about Cornell will give you free SWAG if you leave “preppy comments” or tweets.
- Ohio State: “Even that bastion of preppiness Brooks Brothers is making a line of Ohio State clothes. (O’s on the cufflinks) Gawker has said (snarkily)that Ohio State was “infested by unbearably-preppy” kids.”
- Alabama: Urban Dictionary talks about the Southern Preppies in Alabama wearing Patagonia, Lacoste and Brooks Brothers — which, by the way, also has a University of Alabama line.
Here at the Prepatorium the most surprising thing about the story was in the ‘Bama description:
“For those Alabama fans feeling like they don’t look enough like a prep in their U of A gear, PreppyPrincess.com has you covered with a line of aprons, tote bags, and cloth napkins.”
Eek! Our thanks to the kind folks at HuffPo for the mention.🙂
It would simply be easier to
list name the school from the 2011 roster that were is also named this year, there is only one: Virginia. However, in the interest of providing context, here are the 2011 schools not making the 2012 list.
- Miami University (of Ohio)
- College of Charleston
- St. Lawrence University
- Claremont McKenna
As always, the comments are more-than-interesting. Click here for the post in its entirety, scroll way down for comments.
Also today, another annual endeavor, our glance at the goings-on at Madison Square Garden, we’re talking about this year’s Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
We begin with a group shot as the Beagles do their thing in the ring.
Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Wild Rose, right?
There’s always a reminder of that old adage about dogs looking like owners…or something.
(That’s actually a woman named Grace Forester, from a TV show called “Doggie Moms,” she is holding two pooches at the pre-Westminster Fashion Show at Hotel Pennsylvania.)
Back to our point: it isn’t easy being beautiful. Below, Bentley’s coiffure is kept pretty while he waits his turn in the show ring.
Ever fell like the day was a total waste of hair spray? How would you like to be a Komondorok? (In reality, this is precisely how this breed’s coat should look.)
The Consort: “That’s a heap of hair.”
Maybe life is easier if there just isn’t as much hair to worry about.
In some cases the dog is almost as big as the handler, as with Nikki, the Old English Sheepdog seen below left. On the right we show Ian, a Dalmatian, in honor of Karky and Kermit, and Uncle Bruce.
In honor of the inimitable Muffy Martini (actually, in honor of Bitsy and Bandit) we show Cinders, a wirehaired dachshund who was the big winner in the hound group. That photo on the right isn’t nearly as bad as it might appear, the handler is actually reacting after the group judge awarded Cinders that title.
Sometimes it’s tough on the humans too.
And you thought it was easy on the handlers?
This year’s big winner is Malachy, a Pekingese, taking the Best in Show title.
At times it’s hard to keep your cool.
It’s obvious what Manchester wants to know: “Where’s Tilly?”
Why, she’s still waiting for her invitation, that’s where she is.
She waits, and she waits, and it never comes.